may my heart always be open to little \ birds who are the secrets of living \ whatever they sing is better than to know \ and if men should not hear them men are old e.e. cummings
- Maria: Your job is making you boring and mean.
- Matthew: My job is making me a respectable member of society.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx
- Masha: Oh, how the music plays! They are leaving us, one has quite left us, quite and for ever. We remain alone, to begin our life over again. We must live ... we must live. ...
- Irina: There will come a time when everybody will know why, for what purpose, there is all this suffering, and there will be no more mysteries. But now we must live ... we must work, just work! Tomorrow, I'll go away alone, and I'll teach and give my whole life to those who, perhaps, need it. It's autumn now, soon it will be winter, the snow will cover everything, and I shall be working, working. ...
- Olga: The bands are playing so gaily, so bravely, and one does so want to live! Oh, my God! Time will pass on, and we shall depart for ever, we shall be forgotten; they will forget our faces, voices, and even how many there were of us, but our sufferings will turn into joy for those who will live after us, happiness and peace will reign on earth, and people will remember with kindly words, and bless those who are living now. Oh dear sisters, our life is not yet at an end. Let us live. The music is so gay, so joyful, and, it seems that in a little while we shall know why we are living, why we are suffering. ... If we could only know, if we could only know!